- Cheap and Easy Hands-On Earth Science Investigations.
Cosponsored by the National Association of Geoscience Teachers.
24 April, 4–6 p.m.
Carrie Wright, University of Southern Indiana;
Debbie Vannatter, Evansville-Vanderburgh School Corporation.
- Have you ever wondered how to capture student interest when teaching about glaciers, streams, rocks and minerals, and other concepts? Let us show you how! This workshop is intended for K–16 earth-science educators; several activities for elementary, middle school, and high school grade levels, as well as labs appropriate for college courses, will be demonstrated. Participants will have the opportunity to test the activities and get ideas for how to teach them; classroom materials will be provided. All activities are aligned with Indiana and national science education standards.
- Cost: US$15; all workshop materials provided. Max.: 40.
SPECIAL EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES
Those wishing to schedule additional business meetings, breakfast meetings, luncheons, and so forth, should contact local committee chair Paul K. Doss, as soon as possible.
- Welcoming Reception.
Wed., 23 April, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Walnut A/B, Casino Aztar Conference Center.
- North-Central Section GSA Management Board Meeting.
Thurs., 24 April, 7-8 a.m. Aztar Conference Center, Evansville Room
- Great Lakes - SEPM and the Paleontological Society Luncheon and Business Meeting
Thurs., 24 April, noon-1pm Aztar Conference Center, Evansville Room
- North-Central Section GSA Business Meeting.
Thurs., 24 April, 5:45-6 p.m.
All section members are encouraged to attend.
- Keynote Address by Bill DiMichele, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution
Thurs., 24 April, 6 p.m., Las Vegas/Atlantic City Room, Admission is free.
"Seeing the forest for the trees: Fossil exposures in middle Pennsylvanian deep coal mines, what they are, how they got there, what they tell us."
- An Evening at the Evansville Museum of Arts, History and Science
Thurs., 24 April, 7-10 p.m.
The USI Department of Geology and Physics, The Illinois Geological Survey, the Evansville Museum of Arts, History and Science, and an anonymous donor invite you to visit with colleagues while you enjoy a Southern Indiana BBQ buffet immediately following Dr. DiMichelešs Keynote Address.
A cash bar will be available and you will have free access to all of the galleries in the museum. Museum staff (a USI Geology Alum!) will also present free, short planetarium shows throughout the evening. The museum is an easy, and very pleasant, walk along the riverfront just 0.6 km (0.4 miles) upriver (southeast) along the levee. In case of inclement weather, or for those who would like a ride, coach shuttles will be available at the field trip staging area on First Street outside of Walnut A/B.
Admission is free, badge is required, museum donations encouraged.
- North-Central GSA Campus Representatives and Technical Program Advisory Board Meeting.
Fri., 25 April, 7-8 a.m. Aztar Conference Center, Evansville Room
- Central Section NAGT, Luncheon Business Meeting.
Fri., 25 April, noon-1 p.m. Aztar Conference Center, Evansville Room
- GSA Local Committees Meeting (2007-2010).
Fri., 25 April, 5 p.m. Ri Ra's Pub
- Pander Society Business Meeting.
Date and location TBA.
Although there is no formal guest program, the following local attractions and activities for guests are within walking distance of the conference venue on Evansville’s riverfront and the historic district. For more information, contact the local committee chair, Paul K. Doss.
The Evansville Museum of Arts, History and Science, http://www.emuseum.org.
The USS LST Ship Memorial, http://www.lstmemorial.org.
Reitz Home Museum, http://www.reitzhome.evansville.net.
Koch Family Children's Museum of Evansville, http://www.cmoekids.org.
Other activities elsewhere within Evansville include:
Wesselman Woods Nature Preserve, http://www.wesselmannaturesociety.org.
Angel Mound State Historic Site, http://www.angelmounds.org.
Mesker Park Zoo, http://www.meskerparkzoo.com.
The Evansville African American Museum: 579 Lincoln Ave, 812-423-5188.
More complete information about attractions and activities in Evansville can be obtained from the Evansville Convention and Visitors Bureau at http://www.evansvillecvb.org.