|1.||Submission, Review, and Acceptance|
|2.||Forum and Supplementary Material|
|3.||Editorial Policy, copyright, and costs|
|6.||Tables and Figures|
|9.||Ethical Guidelines for Publication|
Editorial Policy, Copyright, and Costs
GSA obtains copyright for all publications. Authors receive a Transfer of Copyright to GSA form to sign and return before GSA publishes the work. Limited permission statements appear on the title page of most GSA publications defining acceptable uses. Requests for copyright permissions not included in those statements should be addressed to Copyright Permissions, GSA, P.O. Box 9140, Boulder, CO 80301-9140, fax 303-357-1073, .
Geology Editorial Policy
- GEOLOGY encourages submission of articles in all fields of the geosciences. Contributions should be innovative, provocative (or describe a significant advance in the field), timely, and of interest to a broad audience.
- Articles should not exceed four printed pages including abstract, references, tables, illustrations at smallest readable size, and captions. Manuscripts that are too long will be returned for shortening before reviews are solicited. One GEOLOGY page equals approximately 1250 words, or 7500 characters (letters and spaces between words).
- Citations to unpublished data are not allowed. Authors are encouraged to place information that supplements and expands on their published article in the GSA Data Repository. Data presented only in graphs in the manuscript must be placed there. This material is linked to the online journal, is posted on GSA's Web site (www.geosociety.org/pubs.drpint.htm), is available on request from GSA, and is linked to the GSA Journals on CD-ROM.
- Comments for the Forum should focus on the broad assertions in the original article or their implications, and they must not be too specific or personal. A Comment must be submitted within six months of publication of the original article. The GEOLOGY editor will send a copy of the Comment to the original author(s) for a Reply, which should be submitted to GSA within one month. Comments and Replies are limited to one printed page, including references, figures, and tables (about 7500 characters of text equal one printed page).
- Manuscripts are typically sent to at least two reviewers, who are expected to treat the manuscript confidentially. Reviewers may choose to be identified to the authors or to remain anonymous.
- The GEOLOGY editor's decision to accept or reject a manuscript is final.
- News stories and other reporting about articles in GEOLOGY should not appear any earlier than the posting of the online paper. Upon acceptance, authors are encouraged to send a short description of the paper and its significance, for release to the media.
Please submit your figures in black and white unless you are willing to be responsible for the cost of publishing in color. The cost for color is approximately $800 per figure. If your manuscript is accepted, you will be supplied with an exact cost quote. If you are willing to support this cost, please indicate this clearly in your cover letter.
Color artwork must be provided in CMYK format. The four-color printing process uses inks in CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow and black), so any figures you have in RGB (red, green and blue) mode must be converted to CMYK in preparation for printing. Since the conversion often affects the appearance of images, we prefer authors to do this before submitting their figures. This way, you can see how the colors will be affected and, if necessary, make adjustments to ensure that no important detail is lost.
Voluntary Page Contributions
As is customary with nonprofit organizations that publish scholarly books and periodicals, GSA requests contributions from its authors and/or sponsoring institutions to help defray publication costs. The suggested amount is $125 per printed page. Acceptance or rejection of manuscripts is NOT contingent on payment of page contributions.
Your paper may be published as open access for a $2500 fee.