Call for Editors
Science Editor Openings for 2017
GSA is soliciting applications and nominations for science coeditors for the journals Geology and Lithosphere with four-year terms beginning 1 January 2017. Geology has been ranked by the Journal Citation Reports (JCR) as the #1 geology journal for the ninth year in a row, and up-and-coming Lithosphere’s impact factor has increased 4 out of the 5 years it has been ranked by the JCR.
Science editor duties include: ensuring stringent peer review and expeditious processing of submissions; making final acceptance or rejection decisions after considering recommendations of reviewers; and maintaining excellent content through active solicitation of diverse and definitive manuscripts. A successful editor will have:
- a broad interest and experience in geosciences, including familiarity with new trends;
- international recognition and familiarity with many geoscientists and their work;
- a progressive attitude and a willingness to take risks and encourage innovation;
- experience with online manuscript systems (journals) and the ability to make timely decisions; and
- a sense of perspective and humor.
The research interests listed would best complement those of the continuing editors. Note that candidates should not feel they must have expertise in every area listed; however, editors may need to handle papers outside of their main disciplines.
Geology, position 1: geomorphology/surface processes, neotectonics, tectonophysics, geodynamics, planetary geology, volcanology
Geology, position 2: seismology, structural geology, tectonics, numerical modeling of earth processes, microstructure, rock mechanics, geofluids, planetary geology
Lithosphere (1 position): deformation, geodynamics, geophysics, paleomagnetism, Precambrian geology, structural geology, tectonics, neotectonics, tectonophysics, geochronology
- Please submit a curriculum vitae and a letter describing why you are suited for the position to Jeanette Hammann, .
- To nominate another, submit a nomination letter and the person’s written permission and CV.
Editors work out of their current locations at work or at home. The positions are considered voluntary, but GSA provides an annual stipend and funds for office expenses.
DEADLINE: Nominations or applications received by 15 February 2016 will be given first consideration.
Future openings (terms begin January 2018): One position each for GSA Bulletin, Geology, Geosphere, and GSA Today.