17 March 2006
GSA Release No. 06-10
|| Ann Cairns,
DirectorCommunications and Marketing
(303) 357-1056, fax 303-357-1074
Geoscientists Discuss Groundwater Contamination, Climate Issues, and More in Knoxville Next Week
Boulder, CO - Approximately 600 geoscientists will gather 23-24 March for the 55th annual meeting of the Southeastern Section of the Geological Society of America. Hosted by the University of Tennessee Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences and the Tennessee Division of Geology, the meeting takes place at the Marriott Hotel in Knoxville, TN. Topics include: groundwater contamination; climate issues of the southeastern U.S.; planetary research involving Mars, the moon, and impact craters; and Tennessee's Gray fossil site.
Journalists are invited to attend sessions of interest, interview scientists, and visit the exhibit area. Information on complimentary media registration and procedures for arranging onsite and telephone interviews during the meeting are provided below.
Thursday, 23 March
- Terrestrial Climatology: Effects of Wind and Water
- 1:30 - 5:00 p.m., Marriott Hotel, Alvin York
Friday, 24 March
- Groundwater Contamination: Transport, Fate, and Remediation
- 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Marriott Hotel, William Blount North
- Origin, Evolution, and Resource Utilization of Planets and Planetesimals
- 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., Marriott Hotel, Andrew Jackson
- Impacts in the Field
- 1:30 - 6:00 p.m., Marriott Hotel, Andrew Jackson
- Paleontology, Paleoecology, and Paleoenvironments of the Gray Fossil Site, Gray, TN
- 3:00 - 5:30 p.m., Marriott Hotel, Alvin York
To view the entire technical program, please visit http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2006SE/finalprogram/.
MEDIA REGISTRATION AND PROCEDURES
Eligibility for complimentary media registration is as follows:
- Working press representing bona fide news media with a press card, letter, or business card from the publication.
- Freelance science writers, presenting a current membership card from NASW, ISWA, regional affiliates of NASW, or evidence of work pertaining to science published in 2005 or 2006.
- Public Information Officers of scientific societies, educational institutions, and government agencies.
Complimentary meeting registration covers attendance at all technical sessions and access to the exhibit hall. Media must pay regular fees for paid luncheons, field trips, etc.
Media representatives may register onsite in the Marriott Hotel, Knoxville Ballroom lobby. Registration will be open Wednesday, 22 March, from 4:00-8:00 p.m., Thursday, 23 March, from 7:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., and Friday, 24 March, from 7:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. All media registrants will receive a name badge and the program/abstract book upon arrival.
Media registrants may arrange on-site interviews after attending the session in which the talk is given or by leaving a note at the GSA Registration Desk requesting an interview before or after the talk. Interested media unable to attend may telephone the GSA Registration Desk at +1-865-594-4351 and leave a message requesting a callback from the speaker.
For additional information before 23 March, contact Ann Cairns, GSA Director of Communications, at 303-357-1056. During the meeting, 23-24 March, contact the GSA Registration Desk at +1-865-594-4351.
Geological Society of America
3300 Penrose Place – Box 9140
Boulder, CO 80301-9140, USA