24 March 2005
GSA Release No. 05-11
South-Central Section to Meet in San Antonio Next Week
Information for Science and Environment Writers
Boulder, Colo. - Geoscientists will gather 1-2 April for the 39th annual meeting of the South-Central Section of the Geological Society of America, and the Texas Section, Association of Engineering Geologists. Also participating are the Pander Society and the Geoscience Division of the Council on Undergraduate Research.
The meeting will be held at Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas. Approximately 250 geoscientists are expected to attend, hosted by the Department of Geosciences at Trinity University.
Presentations of local/regional interest include:
- An assessment of land-use impact on water quality in the San Antonio River basin (Miriam Juckett, Center for Nuclear Waste Regulatory Analyses, Southwest Research Institute. Saturday, 2 April, 3:30 p.m., Trinity University, Northrup Hall 040)
- A Tarleton State University student field trip to study volcanoes in Hawaii that will soon be open to students and faculty across the state of Texas (Bethany Rinard, Dept. of Chemistry, Geosciences, and Environmental Science, Tarleton State University. Friday, 1 April, 1:30 p.m., Trinity University, Northrup Hall 040)
MEDIA REGISTRATION AND PROCEDURES
Journalists are invited to attend sessions of interest, interview scientists, and visit the exhibit area. Eligibility for complimentary media registration is as follows:
- Working press representing bona fide news media with a press card, letter, or business card from the publication.
- Freelance science writers, presenting a current membership card from NASW, ISWA, regional affiliates of NASW, or evidence of work pertaining to science published in 2004 or 2005.
- Public Information Officers of scientific societies, educational institutions, and government agencies.
Complimentary meeting registration covers attendance at all technical sessions and access to the exhibit hall. Media must pay regular fees for paid luncheons, field trips, etc.
Media representatives may register at the main meeting registration desk located in the Fiesta Room, Coates University Center, Trinity University. Registration will be open Thursday, 31 March, from 3:30-7:00 p.m., Friday, 1 April, from 7:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., and Saturday, 2 April, from 7:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. All media registrants will receive a name badge and the program/abstract book upon arrival.
Media registrants may arrange on-site interviews after attending the session in which the talk is given or by leaving a note at the GSA Registration Desk requesting an interview before or after the talk. Interested media unable to attend may telephone the Registration Desk at 210-999-7038 and leave a message requesting a callback from the speaker.
For additional information before 31 March, contact Ann Cairns, GSA Director of Communications, at 303-357-1056. During the meeting, 1-2 April, contact the GSA Registration Desk at 210-999-7038.