If you are interested in knowing more about the Special Sessions listed below, please contact the session chairs directly.
- GSA BULLETIN: 125th Celebration Presentations
J. Brendan Murphy,
- This session will be a series of presentations based on articles to be published in the GSA Bulletin starting in January 2013, as part of the celebrations to mark GSA’s 125th birthday.
- The Fluvial System: The Legacy of Stanley A. Schumm
GSA Quaternary Geology and Geomorphology Division; SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology)
Allen C. Gellis, ; Benjamin Hayes,
- This special session will bring together leading scientists and engineers whose work builds upon the scientific contributions of Stanley A. Schumm, one of the greatest geomorphologists of our time. Schumm helped pioneer the field of process geomorphology and over a fifty year career with the U.S. Geological Survey and academia, he mentored hundreds of students and contributed landmark papers and books on fluvial and watershed processes, hillslope, and planetary landscapes. The session will be organized around key paradigms Schumm established: dynamic equilibrium, episodic response, sediment and channel morphology, river variability and complexity, baselevel change and tectonics, and climate-watershed dynamics.
- Geomorphology | Environmental Geoscience | Quaternary Geology
- Recent Advances in Carbonate Sedimentology and Stratigraphy: In Memory of Gerald M. Friedman
SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology); Eastern Section SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology); GSA International Section
Paul A. Washington, ; James R. Ebert,
- We will explore recent advances in our understanding of modern and ancient carbonate systems, including deposition, diagenesis, and stratigraphic architecture. Session is dedicated to the memory of Gerald Friedman and his contributions to carbonate sedimentology.
- Sediments, Carbonates | Stratigraphy