Online Communications Manager - STEPPE*
Organization: Geological Society of America
Location: Geological Society of America Headquarters, Boulder, Colorado; Alternate location of SEPM Society for Sedimentary Geology Headquarters, Tulsa, OK is also possible.
Employment Type: Full Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
Online Communications Manager is responsible for overall look of the STEPPE, SEPM and SEPM STRATA websites including user interface and navigation as well as routine Web site maintenance. This position reports to the STEPPE Director and works closely with the Web Applications Developer (IT) and Webmaster of GSA to implement Web capabilities and applications in support of STEPPE strategies as the STEPPE website will function within the GSA’s greater online community network. Content management will take place within GSA’s and SEPM’s Content Management Interface. This position works closely with all GSA, SEPM and PS societies to ensure the efficient flow and updating of website content and to establish style and format protocols. Maintains e-communications expertise.
Understands basic marketing, PR, and strategy in pursuit of STEPPE’s objectives, including developing brand awareness, positive brand image, generating inbound traffic, encouraging program participation, and servicing users and the geoscience community through internet activities and communications, including social media.
Brings expertise that contributes to STEPPE’s strategy development for online communications to enhance the STEPPE Office’s presence online in a meaningful way.
Primary responsibility will be to implement the online media strategy within pre-established guidelines and according to STEPPE’s overall strategic plan. In doing so, this person will interact with various STEPPE advisors and staff within GSA, SEPM and PS to create, coordinate, disseminate, and respond to community input, focusing on interactive electronic media, including [but not limited to] Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and geoscience blogs.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Degree in Geology or closely related science,
- At least two years professional experience with online content management for websites
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, blogs, LinkedIn and/or YouTube for a business or organization to support social media campaigns that engage audience members.
- Grasp of commonly-used geoscience concepts, terminology, practices, procedures, and issues. Knowledge of the geoscience blogging ecosystem is helpful.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and ideas in written and verbal format.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships within a community; mature judgment and discretion in dealing with sensitive issues.
- Must have a service-orientation toward individuals and communities.
- Excellent copywriting skills to develop and edit content.
- Detail oriented with effective organizational skills; ability to multi-task, function under occasional time-pressures.
- Ability to work both independently and cooperatively as a team member; Confidence to take the lead and guide others when necessary
- Strong computer and technology skills; can pick up new tools quickly.
- Email marketing, HTML, and video editing skills are a plus.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, paid PTO/holidays, and a 403(b) plan.
To be considered for this position, please provide the following documents: cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
These may be sent as attachments to .
Review of applications will begin on 21 October 2013 and the ad will remain open until the position is filled.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered
*STEPPE Office is a scientific society (GSA, SEPM, PS) and NSF funded effort to facilitate the sedimentary crust research community in its goal of understanding the details of the Earth’s past and humanity’s future. It is a 3-year initial grant to develop the communications infrastructure to unite the community to achieve this goal.
SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology):
SEPM (Society for Sedimentary Geology) is an international not-for-profit Society based in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Through its network of international members, the Society is dedicated to the dissemination of scientific information on sedimentology, stratigraphy, paleontology, environmental sciences, marine geology, hydrogeology, and many additional related specialties. The Society supports the science and its members in their professional objectives by publication of two major scientific journals, the Journal of Sedimentary Research (JSR) and PALAIOS, in addition to producing research conferences, short courses, and Special Publications. Through SEPM's Continuing Education, Publications, Meetings, and other programs, members can both gain and exchange information pertinent to their geologic specialties. SEPM is an equal opportunity employer. See www.sepm.org.
The Geological Society of America:
The Geological Society of America (GSA) is the preeminent professional society supporting the geological sciences in America. Founded in 1888, GSA has more than 25,000 members worldwide of whom about 20% are student and young professional members. In addition to a full publication program of well-respected journals and monograph series, GSA holds an annual meeting each fall attended by >6000 geoscience professionals, six regional meetings each spring, and selected collaborative international meetings, workshops, and field excursions. GSA interacts with more than sixty affiliated and associated societies across the globe. The Geological Society of America is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. See www.geosociety.org.