Job Title: Office Manager and Corporate Secretary
Organization: Geological Society of America Foundation
Location: Geological Society of America Headquarters, Boulder, CO
Employment Type: Full Time/Exempt
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Geological Society of America:
The Geological Society of America (GSA) is the preeminent professional society supporting the geological sciences in America. Founded in 1888, GSA has over 26,000 members worldwide of whom about 30% are student and young professional members. In addition to a full publication program of major journals and monographs, GSA holds an annual meeting each fall attended by >6000 geoscience professionals, six regional meetings each spring, and selected collaborative international meetings, workshops, and field excursions. GSA interacts with more than seventy associated societies across the globe. The Geological Society of America is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Geological Society of American Foundation:
The Geological Society of America Foundation (GSAF) is an independent 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1980 to raise and manage funds solely in support of the mission of the GSA.
The chief executive officer of the GSAF is a President who reports to a seventeen- to twenty-member Board of Trustees that includes the Executive Director of GSA as an ex officio non-voting member. The GSAF President is an ex officio non-voting member of the GSA Council.
In addition to the President, GSAF staff includes the Director of Development, Assistant Director of Development, a Campaign Coordinator, and a Database Manager. Part-time staff are employed on an as-needed basis for clerical support, special projects, and back-up staffing at off-site meetings.
Primary areas of responsibility of the Office Manager
Financial Operations of GSAF
- Develop and administer the Foundation operating budget in consultation with the Foundation President.
- Manage and implement the Foundation’s accounting functions and operating disbursements.
- Process the payroll.
- Prepare and distribute financial statements to staff and the Finance Committee.
- Assist in the annual audit of GSAF books.
- Prepare information and records for tax filings.
- Maintain a procedures manual for all Financial Edge duties and required end of month/end of year tasks.
- Maintain legal and ethical integrity of Foundation operations in consultation with the Foundation President, as well as the accuracy of business, financial records, and documents.
- Prepare and send communications and disbursements to the participants of a Pooled Income Fund.
- Maintain the financial records for all funds managed by GSAF.
- Prepare and distribute quarterly, semiannual and annual financial statements for funds related to GSA Sections and Divisions and for donors with interests in the performance of specific funds.
- Post all contributions to the general ledger (from Raisers Edge to Financial Edge, GSAF’s donor management databases).
Support other Foundation staff as needed.
Financial Transactions between GSA and GSAF
- Develop the transfer budget in collaboration with the Foundation President, the GSA Executive Director, and other key personnel.
- Oversee and process the transfers to GSA of restricted and unrestricted income, and other expenses due to GSA.
- Support the activities of the Board by assisting in the development of agendas for regular and special meetings in consultation with the Foundation President, and preparing and distributing materials.
- Take minutes of the meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Sign Foundation governing and legal documents as required by law.
Other Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Foundation staff with regard to special events, committee, and public/donor relations activities, including planning, preparation and implementation that may include Annual Meeting and Campaign activities.
- Report to the Foundation President
- Minimal supervision
- Supervise office assistants and clerical personnel
Professional Experience and Qualifications
The ideal candidate will have 8-10 years of experience in the non-profit sector, particularly in budgeting and accounting. He or she will be an excellent time manager and be able to operate well in an informal environment that values a good deal of independence. We seek a team player who is flexible and able to work in a small development operation within a larger society where each member must, as times, pitch in to forward the common purpose.
The successful candidate must have demonstrable experience in:
- Financial Edge software – proficient
- Organizational budgeting
- Nonprofit fund structures (restricted v. unrestricted, etc.)
- General office management
- Board interaction and correspondence
The selected candidate will be willing to relocate to Boulder, CO if not already able to work at GSA headquarters in Boulder. Qualified candidates will be subject to a background check.
Benefits include health, dental, vision, paid PTO/holidays, and a 403(b) plan.
Please provide the following documents to be considered for this position:
- Cover letter (include your salary requirements)
- List of three professional references
These may be sent as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to:
Geological Society of America
3300 Penrose Place
P.O. Box 9140
Boulder, CO 80301