Rocky Mountain Section
Undergraduate Student Research Grant Proposals
I. Policies & Award
Funds are available for undergraduate Geology students in support of research in the area of the Rocky Mountain Section of GSA. Applications are due 1 March 2015, at at midnight, Mountain Time.
- The award is open to undergraduate Earth Science students who are currently enrolled in a B.S. or B.A. degree program.
- The project should involve the Rocky Mountain region.
- The undergraduate student must be a member in good standing of the Rocky Mountain Section of GSA.
- The proposal is submitted as a complete packet, including the cover page and all other components.
Up to $750 may be requested.
The award may not be used to pay salary, buy personal software, or attend a professional meeting such as GSA. Appropriate use of funds includes purchasing field or lab supplies, paying for expenses related to field work, paying for sample analyses, etc. Priority will be given to students who have not previously received an undergraduate research grant from RMS-GSA.
If you receive an award:
- Each student who receives an award is expected to submit a final report. The final report will be a maximum of 500 words and should explain how the RMS-GSA funds were used to successfully conduct the project. List any presentations or publications resulting from the funded research. Please email the final report to the RMS GSA Section Secretary by 1 March 2016.
- Students who have received an award are strongly encouraged to present their results at a Rocky Mountain Section GSA meeting.
II. Application Guidelines
- Download the Application Checklist
- Download and complete RMS-GSA Application Form.
- Applications should be emailed to: Ranie Lynds, RMS-GSA Vice-Chair, .
- Reviewers will use this Evaluation Form to rate the proposals.
The GSA Foundation has awarded $4,500 to each of the six GSA sections. The money, when combined with equal funds from the sections, is used to assist both undergraduate and graduate student members of GSA.
To apply for a travel grant…
- You must be a Student Member of GSA.
Not a member? JOIN NOW.
- You must be registered for the meeting before you can apply for a grant.
- You must complete the online Travel Grant Application Form (link and deadline available from appropriate meeting announcemnt).
- Priority is given to those whose membership affiliation is with the Rocky Mountain Section.
Not sure? Check your affiliation (section affiliation is free and does not have to match the locale where you reside)
- Priority is given to those enrolled in an institution within the Rocky Mountain Section (boundaries noted above).
- Priority will be given to presenters of papers (or posters).
Grant recipients must pick up their reimbursement checks in person with photo ID at the meeting.
Notification of grant status will be made prior to the cancellation deadline, so if your attendance is dependent on receipt of a travel grant and you do not receive it, you may obtain a full registration refund.
Please contact the RM Section Secretary with any questions.