Frequently Asked Questions
- What is GSA?
- The Geological Society of America is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the advancement of the geosciences. As an expanding global membership society with more than 22,500 members (with about 25% students) in almost 100 countries. The Society's primary activities are organizing scientific meetings and publishing scientific literature. Other activities include disbursing research grants, honoring outstanding scientific contributors with medals and awards, assisting teachers in geoscience education, and fostering public awareness of geoscience issues.
- Click here for more information about GSA.
- Have I renewed my membership?
- Click here to check your membership dues payment status.
- GSA memberships are all on a calendar year schedule — January through December — no matter when you join. GSA Today is sent to all members; if have not been receiving your copies after December, either we do not have a correct address for you, or your membership has lapsed. Please contact , or you may renew online.
- How do I update my contact information?
- If you are already a member and need to change any of your personal information, please use our Change of Address form or please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How do I apply for membership?
- You may join online for the current calendar year, or you may print the PDF form and send it to us by mail or fax.
- If you need a paper form sent to you, you may complete the online request form or contact to ask that a form be sent to you.
- Where is the closest GSA chapter or geology club?
- GSA has seven regional Sections. GSA also has 17 special interest Divisions. GSA does not have or sponsor geology clubs.
- How do I pay GSA?
- You may pay with a credit card at the current international exchange rate, or if you plan to mail your payment, you may pay with a money order or check payable in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank. GSA is not able to accept payments in foreign currency at this time; we apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like information on preparing for electronic transfer of funds, please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How do I buy additional products, such as journals or membership in Sections or Divisions?
- > If you are joining GSA for the first time or renewing your membership, you can subscribe to any product using the Renewal Form or New Member Application.
> If you are already a member and wish to add additional items to your membership such as journals, Divisions or Sections, please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- What is my member ID?
- Click this link and your membership number will be emailed to the email address we have on file with you. Otherwise, you may contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How can I get a receipt for my dues payment?
- When you join or renew, you will receive an email receipt usually within 48 hours. If at any other time you would like a receipt, please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- How do I opt out of emails, advertising, or all or part of the member directory?
- Please contact GSA Sales and Service, .
- Are my dues or GSA Foundation contributions tax-deductible in the U.S.?
- Membership dues are not deductible as charitable contributions. However, your dues may be deductible as a business or other itemized expense. Please consult your tax advisor. Your contributions to the GSA Foundation are tax deductible in the U.S.
- How do I obtain a GSA membership card or certificate?
- As part of our mission to be good stewards of the earth, we do not automatically send GSA membership certificates upon joining. If you would like a certificate or replacement membership card, please email, .
- Have I already registered for a meeting?
- If we have processed your meeting registration, you should receive a confirmation listing the events you paid for. The confirmation will come via e-mail if we have a valid address for you, or by fax or mail. Registrations may take up to a week to process.
- If there was a problem with your registration, we will try to let you know, but you may want to contact if you have not received a confirmation within two weeks of when we should have received your form.
- How do I register for a meeting?
- If the meeting is open for registration, there will be a direct link from the home page for that meeting. Just click on the meeting you wish to attend from our Meetings page.
- You may register online, or download and print the PDF form and mail or fax it to us. The forms are also published in GSA Today. If you need a paper form sent to you, you may complete the online request form or contact directly to ask for a form.
- Who has registered for a conference?
- You can see who's registered for a meeting by clicking on the Online Registration link from any GSA meeting Web page. Then click on the "Current Registrants" link in the navigation menu. This will only work while the registration period is open.
- Note that this information is solely for the convenience of our meeting participants and should not be used for any other purpose.
- [ go to meetings listings ]
- Where's my order?
- Orders are generally shipped within three business days, either via UPS ground, or US Postal Service. Please contact for more detailed information on your shipment.
- How do I order a publication?
- You may place an order for GSA books, maps, charts, etc., on the GSA Online Store or you may contact GSA Sales & Service via e-mail , phone (1-888-443-4472; or 303-357-1000, option 3), or fax (303-357-1070).
- If you have a question regarding the availability or price of an item and cannot determine the answer from the GSA Bookstore, please contact .
- How do I subscribe to a periodical?
- Subscription rates for members are substantially less than for institutions or non-member individuals.
- If you are joining GSA for the first time or renewing your membership, you can subscribe using the Renewal Form or New Member Application.
- If you are already a member and wish to subscribe to Geology or GSA Bulletin, or to other periodicals that we offer, you must contact GSA Sales & Service: 1.888.443.4472; 303.357.1000, option 3; .
- Click here for More periodicals information.
- How do I pay GSA?
- You may pay with a credit card at the current international exchange rate, or if you plan to mail your payment, you may pay with a money order or check payable in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. bank. GSA is not able to accept payments in foreign currency at this time; we apologize for any inconvenience. If you would like information on preparing for electronic transfer of funds, please contact .
Browse our Site Map
- or contact us -
GSA Sales and Service
1-888-443-4472 (toll free)
303-357-1000, option 3