Earthquakes & Volcanoes
Lesson Plan Links
GSA is not responsible for content on web sites linked from our site. However, please contact us if you encounter broken links.
- Deformational Sandbox - Exploring Geologic Processes with a Deformational Sandbox.
- Earth to Class - Selected Lab & Activities on earthquakes, volcanoes and plate tectonics.
Learning module - with discussion of Moho boundary, exact p & s wave velocities
- Earthquakes & Volcanoes: A lesson plan from National Geographic.
- Earthquakes: Getting Ready for the Big One - Understand the different types of earthquake waves and the impact they can have; understanding building design in earthquake areas.
- Earthquakes: Learning from the Past, Prepare for the Future - Need Internet access, maps; Students research, question and answer with teacher to learn about earthquakes. For motivated classes.
- Earthshaking Events - Classroom Activity from Science & Children, Feb. 2001 p. 33. Students create their own version of a seismograph to understand how scientists use this tool to measure earthquake vibrations. National Science Education Standard D: Earth and Space Science-Structure of the earth system.
- Generate your own seismic hazards maps:
- Google Earth files: — This website contains information on faults and associated folds in the United States that are believed to be sources of M>6 earthquakes during the Quaternary (the past 1,600,000 years). Maps of these geologic structures are linked to detailed descriptions and references.
- IRIS (Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology) - Lessons and Resources
- A Model of Three Faults - Students will observe fault movements on a model of the earth's surface. Teacher needs to print the model page from the Web site.
- Surfing for Earthquakes and Volcanoes - by Patty Coe and Michael Merrick. Intended for 6-8 graders Students use the Internet to research data on earthquakes and volcanoes and plot locations to determine continental plate boundaries. Extensions include interpretation of interaction between plate boundaries, causes of earthquakes and volcanoes, and the comparison of the formation of Olympus Mons on Mars and the Hawaiian volcanic chain.
- Volcano! - Understanding volcanoes, why they erupt, and their effect on civilization.
- Volcano World - Everything volcanos! This terrific Web site includes downloadable HyperStudio stacks, lesson plans, and a great FAQ section.