|2011 GSA ANNUAL MEETING & EXPOSITION
ARCHEAN TO ANTHROPOCENE:
The Past is the Key to the Future
When: 9–12 October 2011
Where: Minneapolis Convention Center (MCC), 1301 Second Ave. South, Minneapolis, MN 55403, USA
Be sure to check your Annual Meeting program book (which is downloadable), the September GSA Today, or our new mobile meeting app for times, locations & further information.
You still have time to REGISTER, whether it's for the full meeting or just one day. Register online throughout the meeting or on site in MCC Lobby B.
A Sincere Thanks to Our Annual Meeting Sponsors!
Pardee Keynote Symposia
LATE BREAKING Session: Geologic Consequences of Hurricane Irene — A Preliminary Assessment
Non-Technical Sessions & Events
Saturday, 8 Oct.
Sunday, 9 Oct.
Monday, 10 Oct.
Tuesday, 11 Oct.
Wednesday, 12 Oct.
Download the Mobile Meeting App
Download the Annual Meeting Program
Click on the ads below for more info!
Students — Make it Your Meeting!
For a complete list, download our student highlights flyer (PDF).
Something for Everyone!
Education & Outreach Events
A few short courses, which start on Friday, 7 Oct., at the University of St. Thomas (near the MCC), still have space available. Check the Annual Meeting Short Course website for more information and/or with the registration desk (MCC, Lobby B) once you arrive onsite.
• Welcome Reception for Two-Year Geoscience Faculty, Sat., 4–5 p.m.
• Annual Geoscience Educators Social Reception, Sat., 5–7 p.m.
• Bighorn Basin Field Award Reception, Sun., 2:30–3:30 p.m.
• GeoCorps™ America Alumni Reception, Mon., 5–6:30 p.m.
• Diversity in the Geosciences Reception, 5–7:30 p.m.
Geology & Public Policy Events
Tuesday, 11 Oct., is a big day for GSA's Washington Office, Geology & Public Policy Committee, and Geology and Society Division. For times & locations, have a look online; highlights are below:
• Communicating and Shaping Policy: From Grassroots to Capitol Hill: Geologist Allyson Anderson, Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources.
• Geology and Society Division Distinguished Lecture: Edward Maibach: "Improving the effectiveness of communication about climate science: A communication scientist's perspective."
• Congressional Science Fellows Panel Discussion & Reception: Meet past and current GSA-USGS Congressional Science Fellows. Refreshments provided.
Support GSA through the GSA Foundation!
Come to the GSA Headquarters Area in the Exhibit Hall, and you'll have no trouble locating the GSA Foundation booth, where you can take part in two special fundraising events:
1. Gold for Gold: Donate your unwanted or broken gold jewelry and gold coins to the GSA Foundation to support the Medals Fund.
2. The Annual Silent Auction: Find some outstanding items this year, including photographs, rock & mineral specimens, books, wine, field gear, timeshares, and more!
Finding Your Way & Building Your Schedule
Wondering how to get to the Minneapolis Convention Center? Our Travel & Transportation page has all the details.
Need more information about Minneapolis and what to do between sessions & events? Our venue web page lists links to more info about area restaurants, local culture, and a great offer for discounted tickets to opening night for the Minnesota Wild.
Build your own 2011 GSA Annual Meeting itinerary with our personal scheduler and our mobile meeting app.
NEW in the GSA Bookstore
Please Visit Us in the Exhibit Hall!
Societal Challenges and Geoinformatics
Edited by A. Krishna Sinha, David Arctur, Ian Jackson & Linda Gundersen: Information is only as good as what it can tell us & that means developing the right tools to place in the right hands. Get this book into the right hands!
Field Guide to Samos and the Menderes Massif: Along-Strike Variations in the Mediterranean Tethyan Orogen
By Klaus Gessner, Uwe Ring & Talip Güngör: The product of a 2010 GSA Field Forum, this guide explores the tectonics of Samos and the Menderes Massif, two fascinating areas within the eastern Mediterranean section of the Tethyan orogen.
Archean to Anthropocene: Field Guides to the Geology of the Mid-Continent of North America
Edited by James D. Miller, George J. Hudak, Chad Wittkop & Patrick I. McLaughlin: This volume includes guides for 25 diverse and interesting trips in and around the Minnesota, USA, area.
From the Outside Looking In
Written and illustrated by Charles Ferguson Barker: Introduce the children in your life to the science in your life with this captivating story of plate tectonics illustrated with detailed black-and-white pencil drawings.
GSA Annual Meeting Employment Service Center
Visit the employment service center onsite to see what companies are interviewing and to view job postings. FREE service for all GSA members: post your résumé online. Employers: Learn more about our database and about opportunities at our annual meeting.
AGI: 2010 Salaries for Geoscience-related Occupations by Industry
[ Geoscience Currents (19 Sept) ]
GSA in the News
• Annual Meeting Science (session 239), and specifically, work by C.A. Raymond et al., Exploring the smallest terrestrial planet: Dawn at Vesta, is covered by Universe Today in their 21 Sept. article, "Rheasilvia — Super Mysterious South Pole Basin at Vesta is Named after Romulus and Remus Roman Mother."
• Work by Annual Meeting Science (session 15) presenter M.E. McNamara et al. is covered in a 28 Sept. BBC Science Online article, "Fossil beetles show true colours." McNamara will present research on "The Original Colors of Fossil Moths" on Sunday at the GSA Annual Meeting.
• A 20 Sept. COSMOS (Australia) article, "Martian Clay Hints at Life" covers Oct. 2011 Geology science by C.M. Weitz et al., "Diverse mineralogies in two troughs of Noctis Labyrinthus, Mars."
• A 23 Sept. Denison Geoblog post, "GEOS 211: The Uncovering of Quartz from Submerged Archaeological Sites," discusses a July 2011 Geology science article by E.P. Sonnenburg et al., "Quartz flakes in lakes: Microdebitage evidence for submerged Great Lakes prehistoric (Late Paleoindian–Early Archaic) tool-making sites."
Press Releases Issued by GSA
4 Oct.: New GSA earth-science research posted: GSA Bulletin, Geosphere, GSA Today
3 Oct.: GSA President presents USGS Coalition Leadership Award to U.S. Senator Jeff Bingaman
7 Sept.: NASA's Dawn Mission at Vesta: Press conference announcement: 2011 Annual Meeting of The Geological Society of America
30 Aug.: September 2011 GSA Today Special Issue: Four science articles highlight geoscience of the Upper Midwest in anticipation of GSA Annual Meeting
Press Releases Received
AGI, 30 Sept.: AGI adopts the new name of the American Geosciences Institute
UNR, 22 Sept.: University of Nevada, Reno engineers simulate large quake on curved bridge
Planetary Science Inst., 19 Sept.: Young clays on Mars could have been habitable regions for life
Annual Meeting Trivia
1. In what year did GSA last hold an annual meeting in Minnesota?
2. Who gave the presidential address that year?
3. Who will give the presidential address this year?