5th International EarthCache Event (5IEE)
Saturday, 24 September 2016, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Colorado Convention Center (CCC), Rooms 601-612, Denver, Colorado, USA
Friends of 5IEE
Big thanks to cachers "micaparamedic" and "Cyclops" for being "Friends of 5IEE". Your support for the event, and for EarthCaching in general, is greatly appreciated! (Please see below to learn how to become a "Friend".)
Two primary ways to participate in 5IEE
- Access the log-book and central hall, free of charge. Printing a free pass will help you gain easy access to the location inside the Colorado Convention Center. However, it will not get you into the presentations, activity rooms, nor any parts of the GSA Annual Meeting.
- Register and pay a small fee to be able to attend presentations, visit activity rooms, and (optionally) gain access to the Geological Society of America (GSA) Annual Meeting. Joining GSA for parts of its Annual Meeting will provide you an experience unlike any other geocaching event, and is highly recommended.
"Rock Hound" Level
This level gets you beyond just the log-book and central hall, and into the main International EarthCache Event, where you can attend presentations and participate in other fun EarthCaching-related activities. Includes a registration packet with lots of GSA and EarthCaching goodies, personal name tag, access to presentation rooms, access to activity rooms.
"Hard Core EarthCacher" Level
This level gets you beyond 5IEE and into some parts of the GSA Annual Meeting, an event that attracts more than 7,000 attendees to participate in a high energy science exchange. Technical sessions (poster and oral presentations), exhibits, vendors, and networking opportunities offer something for everyone. Includes access to these parts of the GSA Annual Meeting: GSA Icebreaker + one beer ticket to be redeemed at the Icebreaker, Sat., 9/24/16, 5 - 7 p.m, in the Colorado Convention Center (CCC) Mile High Ballroom I. GSA Science Poster Sessions, Sun., 9/25/16, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m., in the CCC. GSA Vendor and Exhibit Hall, Sun., 9/25/16, 2 - 7 p.m. in the CCC. Exhibits Opening Reception + one beer ticket to be redeemed at the Opening Reception, Sun., 9/25/16, 5:30 - 7 p.m. in the CCC.
Registration Guidelines & Tips
- Register online at the GSA Store.
- All attendees, ages 18 and up, who wish to gain access beyond the "free" level must register online in advance (preferably), or on-site on the day of the event.
- All attendees, under 18 years of age, can gain access to all of the same events, at no additional charge, for which their parents/guardians are registered.
- Register as a "Hard Core EarthCacher" and gain access to some of the best parts of the GSA Annual Meeting, such as the GSA Exhibit Hall and the GSA Poster Sessions (Scroll to bottom, 9a.m.-5:30p.m. section).
- If you would like to make a voluntary donation to the EarthCache program, please visit the GSA Foundation website, enter an amount, and select the fund titled "EarthCache - Let the Earth Be Your Teacher!".
- Attendees who register at the Hard Core EarthCacher level, and then donate $65.00 or more to the EarthCache program through the GSA Foundation, before 11:59 p.m. (Pacific), 9/20/16, will be deemed a "Friend of the Event". In addition to being recognized by name on the event website and at the event itself, Friends also get access to the Friends, Speakers, and Vendors lounge, which is a quiet place to relax, socialize, tell caching stories, and enjoy small, complimentary refreshments.
- EarthCache volunteer reviewers, and Groundspeak Lackeys get full registration, full access, and "Friends of the Event" status at no cost. Contact Matt Dawson at GSA for instructions on redeeming your free registration.
8:00 - 9:00 a.m.: Registration and check-in
9:00 - 9:15 a.m.: Official event opening and announcements
9:15 a.m. - 12:00 noon: Presentations and activity rooms begin.
12:00 noon - 1:00 p.m.: Lunch break; presentations pause, activity rooms continue.
1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Presentations resume, activity rooms continue.
4:00 p.m.: Official event closing, announcements, and prize drawings.
5:00 - 7:00 p.m.: GSA Annual Meeting Icebreaker + one beer ticket redemption (for Hard Core EarthCachers and GSA Annual Meeting Attendees)
9:00 a.m.: GSA Annual Meeting Science Poster Session opens (for Hard Core EarthCachers and GSA Annual Meeting Attendees)
2:00 p.m.: GSA Annual Meeting Vendor and Exhibit Hall opens (for Hard Core EarthCachers and GSA Annual Meeting Attendees)
5:30 p.m.: GSA Annual Meeting Official Exhibit Hall Opening Reception + one beer ticket redemption (for Hard Core EarthCachers and GSA Annual Meeting Attendees)
Colorado's Glacial Legacy
Paleontology of Mesa Verde Area
Geology of Colorado's Front Range (Ft. Collins - Boulder - Denver - Colorado Springs corridor)
Fossils of Colorado
Geology and History of Great Sand Dunes National Park
EarthCache History and Guidelines
EarthCache Masters and Reviewers Round Table
Lab Caches (six, including two three right on site!)
Rock and mineral displays and activities
Take advantage of some travel discounts, and deals on accommodations.
Explore Denver tourism opportunities, and get oriented with area maps and facility floorplans.