Who Can Apply to the On To the Future Program
Students must meet the following criteria in order to apply to OTF:
2013 GSA Annual Meeting
- Be an undergraduate or graduate student from a two or four year college that is currently studying at an
accredited North American institution OR be a recent college graduate that currently resides in North America.
Please note multiple applications from one university will be ranked and selections made based on the strongest
- GSA defines diverse as a group of students that may be from one or more of the following groups: low-income,
ethnic minority, first generation (i.e. the first in their families to attend college), non-traditional, women,
veterans, LGBTQ, and/or students with disabilities.
- Has not attended a Annual Meeting (attendance to a Section Meeting will not disqualify you)
- Be eligible to travel to the Annual Meeting location in Phoenix, Arizona.
If you do not meet all of the criteria mentioned above, you are not
eligible to apply.
How to Apply to the OTF Program
All applications will be processed online. To view the application in its entirety, see the sample OTF Application.
To begin an application, you must either have your GSA member number or create a non-member ID. This will allow you
to save and return to your application at a later time. When you are ready to apply, have the following information
- Tips & Advice. Please read through the Tips for Applying to GSA’s Education and
Outreach Programs for advice on how to use the online system.
- Letter of Recommendation. The application will ask for the name and email address of one
mentor. This mentor will complete a recommendation for you. An automatic request will be sent to the mentor. It
is your responsibility to talk with your mentor to let them know that you are applying to this opportunity and
to send them reminders of the deadline. Please only request a letter from someone who will provide a positive
recommendation. Your application will not be complete until a letter of recommendation is submitted.
- Application Questions. The online application contains the following five questions. Please be
prepared to answer these questions with a character limit of 1,500 each.
- Explain how you can enrich GSA’s goal to support a diverse and inclusive geoscience community
(300 characters)? Read through GSA's Position Statement on
Diversity if you do not know how to answer this question.
- Explain your academic and professional goals and how your attendance to the Annual Meeting will help you reach
- Describe your financial need and indicate how much you are requesting including how these funds will be
used. Use this budget template and associated tips to help you answer this question.
- Explain why you are requesting these funds and any hardships you may have encountered
that would make you a deserving awardee. Use examples when necessary.
- OTF is a partial travel award program. This means that you may have to seek funds outside of OTF to
cover your full cost of travel. Explain your plan to find additional funds to support your travel to the
Annual Meeting. Read through the Funding Guide for suggestions.
- Grades and Relevant Coursework. The application contains an optional section to list relevant courses and grades – you do not
need to upload a transcript but have a list of courses and grades that are relevant to the geosciences.
- Submit Your Application. Your application will not be complete and submitted until your
recommendation has been received. You can log into your account and check the status of your materials up until the deadline. You application will be complete when all your materials have been received and will be automatically submitted on the deadline. The system will not send you a confirmation that your application was submitted. If you would like a confirmation that your application was received, please email the
The application for the 2019 Annual Meeting in Phoenix, Arizona is now open.
Visit the OTF Frequently Asked Questions page to learn more. If you still have
questions, please contact Tahlia Bear, +1-303-357-1066, .