Before You Arrive to the Annual Meeting
There’s a lot to look forward to before arriving at a GSA Annual Meeting. Please make sure you complete the following
steps before arriving:
- Submit an abstract. While presenting your research is not
a required part of OTF, it is highly encouraged. The abstract deadline is 25 June 2019.
- Register for the Annual Meeting. Instructions to register are included in your acceptance
letter. All short courses and field trips and some events require registration as space is limited. All students
must register by the early registration deadline.
- Make your travel arrangements. You are responsible for paying for all your costs up front. Check the
GSA Annual Meeting website for information on host hotels. This site also contains information on room sharing at the
meeting. If you seek additional funds to cover your costs, read through the
OTF Funding Guide
to help you identify other places to find support as well as a step-by-step guide to requesting funds.
What to Expect at the Annual Meeting
There are many amazing opportunities for students to become engaged in the GSA Annual Meeting. We have organized five
special gatherings to help you get the very best experience from the Annual Meeting. We encourage you to plan your
meeting experience around these gatherings.
- OTF Gatherings
- Each morning, OTF scholars will gather to hear brief talks by key people about future internship, research, and
other opportunities at GSA. It is also a way for OTF scholars to meet new people and to network. Plan to arrive
on time. Coffee and bagles will be provided. Please wear the OTF ribbon given to you at registration. See the On To the Future Schedule for a
list of required events you should attend.
- OTF Group Photo
- This is an opportunity for the OTF group to gather at the OTF corner of the GSA Foundation area in the main
Exhibit Hall during the Exhibit Hall opening on Sunday. Here you will have the opportunity to meet donors of the
OTF program and to mingle with new OTF friends. There will not be any formal talks but we will try and get a
group photo. See the OTF Schedule for time/location.
- Diversity in the Geosciences and OTF Alumni Reception
- If you are a current OTF student or if you have received an OTF award in the past, please join this reception.
All current OTF students will be recognized. See the Annual Meeting website for details.
Before You Leave
There are a couple of important things you must do before you leave the Annual Meeting.
- Check-In. In order for OTF scholars to receive their scholarship check, all OTF scholars must
check in at the Annual Meeting office to confirm your mailing address.
- Complete an Evaluation. Make sure you complete the OTF Evaluation and let us know what you like
to see improved for the next cohort of students.
- Complete your OTF report.
For questions or concerns please contact Tahlia Bear, .