Application opens 1 March 2019
Minority Student Scholarship Program
The Minority Student Scholarship is granted to six undergraduate students who demonstrate a commitment to the
geosciences. Qualified applicants must be a U.S. Citizen studying at an accredited university or college in one of
GSA’s six regional sections (including Canada and Mexico). The funds are to be used to purchase text books, pay
college fees, or attend GSA field trips or conferences.
In addition to a cash award, students will also receive complimentary GSA student membership and meeting
registration for this year’s GSA Annual Meeting & Exposition, where a student awards reception will be held.
||Marcus Hill, Oberlin College
|Nora Soto Contreras, University of Cincinnati
||Saida Burns-Moore, University of Memphis
|Zachary Little, University of Maryland Baltimore County
||David Davis, Georgia State University
|Lisa Duong, Georgia State University
Student Application Requirements
- Be a U.S. citizen and a member of a minority group;
- Has taken at least two (2) introductory geoscience courses;
- Be enrolled in additional geoscience courses in the upcoming academic year; and
- Be a current undergraduate student member of GSA.
Application and Timeline
- Submit a completed online application form, and all letters of recommendation, emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than the deadline.
- Uploaded a copy of your unofficial transcript.
- Uploaded a copy of your fall 2019 schedule.
- Confirm with the student that he/she is a member of a minority group.
- Verify that the student has completed two introductory geoscience courses and is enrolled in geosciences
classes for the upcoming academic year.
- Nominations will be forwarded to the GSA Diversity in the Geosciences Committee for review.