Next nomination cycle deadline to be announced.
Minority Student Scholarship Program
The Minority Student Scholarship Program provides $1,500 to one student at an accredited university or college in each of the six GSA Sections as nominated by a GSA Professional Member. The funds are to be used to purchase text books, pay college fees, or attend GSA field trips or conferences.
In addition to the cash award, a complimentary GSA student membership is granted as well as meeting registration for this year’s GSA Annual Meeting where a student awards reception will be held.
||Aquivo Lowen-Diaz, Santa Barbara City College
||Jessica Mckay, Northern Illinois University
|Jessica Whiteaker, Southern Illinois University
||Sean Thatcher, The City University of New York College of Staten Island
||Stephanie E. Suarez, University of Texas at Austin
||Jared Hopkins, Georgia State University
Student Requirements for Nomination
- Be a U.S. citizen and a member of a minority group;
- Has taken at least two (2) introductory geoscience courses;
- Be enrolled in additional geoscience courses in the upcoming academic year; and
- Be a current undergraduate student member of GSA.
Nomination Responsibilities and Timeline
- Nominator must be a GSA Professional Member (1 nomination per member)
- Confirm with the student that he/she is a member of a minority group.
- Verify that the student has completed two introductory geoscience courses and is enrolled in geosciences classes for the upcoming academic year.
- Complete and return the nomination form above via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than the deadline. Next nomination cycle deadline to be announced.
- Nominations will be forwarded to the GSA Diversity in the Geosciences Committee for review.