GSA Job Opportunity
GSA Executive Director
Position Title: Executive Director
Organization: The Geological Society of America
Location: The Geological Society of America Headquarters, Boulder, Colorado
Employment Type: Full time/Exempt
Reports to: GSA Council, the Society’s board of directors
Salary: Commensurate with experience
The Geological Society of America (GSA), a scientific and professional organization with more than 26,000 members worldwide, seeks an individual to assume the duties of Executive Director as early as January 1, 2015. The selected individual will:
- Implement the Strategic Plan and related priorities of GSA as directed by and in collaboration with GSA Council and its Executive Committee;
- Coordinate fundraising to benefit GSA’s mission by working with the GSA Foundation’s Board of Trustees and its President and staff, and by seeking grants for GSA programs from governmental agencies; the GSA Foundation solicits donations for GSA programs from individuals and corporations;
- Foster collaborative relationships with representatives of other national and international geoscience societies and organizations and actively pursue joint ventures that enhance the scholarly status and financial health of the Society; and
- Supervise the GSA staff of approximately 60 (currently nine directors with 12 employees in the publications department; seven in meetings and abstracts; six in communications, marketing, and advertising; six in education and outreach; five in information technology; four in financial services; four in sales and service; three in membership; two in government affairs; two in special programs; and five in administration, employment service, and human resources). Articulate the vision and mission of the Society to staff and members and lead through teamwork and collaborative efforts. Adjust staff as needed to maintain a balanced budget and effective workforce.
The new director will provide leadership and support to diverse groups such as committees, associated societies, staff, and volunteers and hold a position with competitive compensation and benefits.
The breadth and diversity of GSA’s membership, with graduate and undergraduate students (~36%) and professionals in academia (23%), industry (18%), government (8%), and other sectors or retired (15%), is a huge asset in fulfilling its mission to advance geoscience research and discovery, service to society, stewardship of Earth, and the geosciences profession. The Executive Director will promote diversity in all respects.
- Commitment to strong interpersonal communication among and between staff, members, and volunteers. Proven record of motivating staff to develop new sources of revenue and to use technology to improve efficiencies.
- Master’s degree in geosciences; Ph.D. preferred.
- Extensive management experience and achievements in the areas of accrual budgeting, financial planning and investments, and personnel management. Additional preparation in education, marketing, and/or business management encouraged.
- Commitment to geoscience research, scholarly publishing, meetings at the forefront of geoscience, and public outreach and education.
- Familiarity with marketing and public relations.
- Demonstrated familiarity with the geoscience community and GSA programs.
- Willingness to travel nationally and internationally.
Qualified Candidates will be required to undergo a background check.
Benefits: Health, Dental, Vision plan, 403(b) retirement plan, paid vacation time.
Submit a résumé, the names, addresses, and e-mail addresses of three references, and a letter describing your interest in the position to:
Executive Director Search Committee
The Geological Society of America
P.O. Box 9140
Boulder, CO 80301-9140
Applications received by 15 October 2014 will receive full consideration; the position will remain open until filled. GSA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages nominations of outstanding individuals.