Have you Renewed your Membership for 2008 along with journal subscriptions and Division memberships?
SAVE 15% by renewing early!
[ renew now ]
GSA thanks all of its members who have already renewed their membership. A special thanks to those who also have made contributions to the GSA Foundation with their renewal.
Beginning of the International Year of Planet Earth
If you registered for the meeting before 5 October and are located within the United States, your badge will be mailed to you.
IMPORTANT: Remember to bring your badge and registration confirmation with you to the meeting.
- Don't forget to upload your presentations!
Early upload deadline: 5 p.m. Eastern Time, 26 October.
[ upload now ]
- Test your presentation in the Speaker Ready Room before your talk.
Colorado Convention Center, 304
[ SRR hours | speaker tips ]
- All presentations MUST be uploaded either in advance of the meeting (link above), OR on-site in the Speaker Ready Room at least half an hour before the start of the session.
[ more info ]
Important Update — There will be several major sporting events happening in Denver during the Annual Meeting — including games three, four, and possibly five, of the World Series. This is a very exciting time to be in the city of Denver and we expect this added vitality to enhance your stay.
If you need to make a hotel reservation…
Note that hotel space is at a premium and hotels that still have availability may be located outside the downtown area.
If you already have a hotel reservation …
Hotel Changes or Cancellations
Please make all changes and cancellations online or contact the Housing Bureau by Friday, 19 October. After that you must call your assigned hotel directly.
- Presidential Address and Awards Ceremony — Join GSA President John M. (Jack) Sharp, Jr. on Saturday, 27 Oct., in honoring 2007 medal and award winners, GSA's newly elected Fellows, and Division awardees. Open to the public.
[ details ]
- Special Session—A Dialogue on Field Safety in Memory of Alyssa Heberton-Morimoto, Sunday, 28 Oct.
[ details ]
- Public Forum: CSI: Forensic Geology Gets the Dirt on Crime, is free and open to the public on Tuesday evening, 30 Oct. Sponsored by Subaru.
[ details | speaker bios ]
- EarthCache™ Kiosk: Come and experience EarthCaching for yourself thanks to the generous support of Subaru. GSA will load GPS units and provide all the notes for the Building Stones of Denver EarthCache tour. You can choose to do a self-guided tour or join a group.
- Stop by “NSF Street” in the exhibit hall to learn about projects that the National Science Foundation is funding.
- New Books in the Members’ Corner display at the GSA Bookstore.
- Author Events at the GSA Bookstore:
- Special Presentation: Tuesday, 10:30am.
Grab a FREE cup of coffee and join us as geo-mystery author Sarah Andrews showcases time spent at McMurdo Station, Antarctica, doing research for In Cold Pursuit. Co-sponsored by Rite In The Rain, Minigrip, geology.com, Murder by the Book Bookstore (Denver), Bill Romey.
- Booksigning Event: Sunday night welcoming party.
Meet authors and have your books personalized!
- Michael Collier photography exhibit
GSA Specialty Meetings
Fire in the Southwest: Integrating Fire into Management of Changing Ecosystems
28-31 January 2008, Tucson, Arizona
This timely forum focuses on ecology and management of fire-adapted and affected ecosystems in the southwestern U.S. Questions may be directed to Melissa Cummiskey, .
[ meeting info ]
Building Bridges across the Geological and Health Sciences
4-6 March 2008, Reston, Virginia
This conference will feature case studies on airborne, soilborne, and drinking water contaminants presented by paired geologists and health scientists. Your input is sought as we develop an emerging needs and research agenda.
[ more info ]
Communicating the Value of Geoscience
A Sampling of GSA in the News
Research by Gani et al. on the relationship of Pliocene uplift, climate change, and human migration out of Africa's Ethiopian Plateau (GSA TODAY, September 2007) was reported by New Scientist, Discovery Channel, Malaysia Sun, and other outlets.
[ GSA TODAY Science article | Discovery Channel article ]
Research by Lamb et al. on submarine slides extending off several Hawaiian islands (GSA BULLETIN, July-August 2007 was reported by Science.
[ abstract ]
Mapping and analysis of ~1000 aftershocks associated with the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake by Twiss and Unruh (GSA BULLETIN, September-October 2007) received coverage on Science Daily.
[ abstract | Science Daily article ]
Three recently published GSA Special Papers received coverage on PhysOrg.com:
|If you're not a subscriber to GSA Journals, you can purchase
full text of these articles and others via Bloc of Docs.
PRESS RELEASES ISSUED BY GSA
SELECTED PRESS RELEASES RECEIVED BY GSA