GSA's 125th Anniversary
Celebrating Advances in Geoscience
Our science, our societal impact, and our unique thought processes
Download this colorful timeline showing GSA & geoscience history.
| Share your celebration of GSA
with the World.
|Visit GSA Headquarters!|
In the Denver / Boulder area? Stop by GSA HQ and see our beautiful building and specimen collection.
|Can't make it in person?
Take a virtual tour — download the Visitor Guide.
|Watch Video from GSA's
Community Open House
(4/26/13, HQ in Boulder)
Beginning in 1888 with just over 100 members, to today serving more than 25,500 members worldwide, The Geological Society of America is proud to be celebrating its 125th Anniversary this year. During this celebration year, we will be looking at how far we have come over the last 50 years, viewing results of scientific and technological advances, as well as looking at predictions for future progress.
Throughout our 125th Anniversary website, you will find information on the many activities and opportunities that are being planned, along with ways for you to engage and give back. You can also explore the history of how The Geological Society of America became one of the world’s leading scientific societies that it is today.
Many events, publications, and special opportunities are being planned throughout this entire year. We hope you are able to celebrate with us along the way.
GSA members and friends are encouraged to contribute!
Be a part of GSA history and plan or participate in so many activities:
- Give 125 “somethings” to help expand the Society’s reach in mission-critical programs, education, and outreach.
- Anniversary Books
Three Special Papers, written by giants in their fields, are being prepared to celebrate GSA’s anniversary. These comprehensive, fascinating books cover advances in the geosciences over the past 50 years.
- The Web of Geological Sciences: Advances, Impacts, and Interactions (edited by Marion E. Bickford)
- The Impact of the Geological Sciences on Society (edited by Marion E. Bickford)
- Rethinking the Fabric of Geology (edited by Victor R. Baker)
- Drink Wine
GSA is celebrating with this Lava Cap wine, nourished by the prime volcanic soil of the Sierra Nevada Foothills. As geologists themselves, the Jones winemaking family appreciates GSA’s interests in Earth’s history, processes, and resources.
Here’s to 125 years of ground-breaking geoscience, and our passion for the never-ending mysteries of the Earth!
- Read the GSA Founders Blog
- Get a Field Assistant (Ale that is): Special 125th Anniversary brew.
- Review 125th anniversary Topical Sessions and Symposia from the 2013 Annual Meeting
- Those who attended the anniversary gala in Denver during the GSA Annual Meeting got treated to "rock music" from the Boulder Philharmonic Orchestra inspired by Colorado's geology. Click on image at right to enlarge.
125th Anniversary Committee:
Sharon Mosher, Chair, University of Texas
Victor Baker, University of Arizona
M. E. (Pat) Bickford, Syracuse University
J. Christopher Hepburn, Boston College
Jacqueline Huntoon, Michigan Technological University
Judy Parrish, University of Idaho
Brian Pratt, University of Saskatchewan
Gail Russell, University of Southern Mississippi
Steve Wells, Desert Research Institute, University & Community College System of Nevada
GSA Members, Sections, Divisions, and Associated Societies —
Help GSA celebrate its 125th anniversary throughout the year 2013!
Chair - 125th Anniversary Celebration Committee,